This went on for another year until last year when the grape vines didn't produce at all. I puzzled about it for awhile till I spoke to another local who told me the late May frost we had killed off all the grapes. *sigh* Now I know.
Fast forward to this spring when everything is moving right along....warming up and starting to grow. Suddenly the news report calls for 2 nights of frost. What to do? I made grapevine ghosts out of bed sheets of course!
Over a week later, it decides to freeze overnight again. This time I cover them at night with plastic, felt lined tablecloths. The tablecloths were easier to use and seemed like they sat on top of the vines instead of weighing them down. The moisture also seemed to bead on them and roll off unlike the sheets which got a bit damp. Unfortunately the tablecloths are smaller then the sheets. Maybe I'll get some larger ones for next year, but I'm really hoping this is the end of it for now.
A quick glance at the weather forecast tells me it shouldn't freeze for at least 10 days. By then it will be June and I'm pretty sure we'll be out of frost season by then!
Since I was outside uncovering the vines I decided to check the damage. During the first frost I had made the mistake of putting the sheets on in the evening and leaving them on for 2 nights. The very tops of the leaves had been damaged and I had to prune them a little. This time I removed the cloths each day and there was no more damage. The grapes themselves are looking good. They look like healthy little clusters to me.
Hopefully they will produce enough for me to make grape jam again this year. Yummmm!