After soaking it for hours and trying to scrub inside with a toothbrush, my daughter who used to work in a floral shop told me to use denture tablets. Huh? I tried it, it worked and I decided to figure out exactly what else I could use it on. Lo and behold, I've discovered a bunch of uses for these lowly denture tablets! They were designed to clean and disinfect the tiny nooks and crannies of dentures but they can do the same thing for many difficult to clean items in your household. Not only are they good at cleaning, but their intended to go on a mouthpiece that you simply rinse then put in your mouth. That sounds pretty safe to me....
1) Clean diamond jewelry (not silver or pearls though): Drop a denture tablet into a cup of warm water and add jewelry. Let sit until the fizzing stops then rinse clean.
2) Clean the water reservoir in rug scrubbers. Fill with very warm water and add a few denture tablets. Let sit till the water turns clear and rinse.
3) Get rid of mineral stains in the toilet: drop 2 tablets in the bowl, wait 20 minutes and flush.
4) Dissolve scum and residue inside vases: fill with warm water, drop in tablet and wait about 20 minutes then rinse clean. Works on thermoses and stained coffee cups too.
5) If your shower head is caked with mineral deposits remove it and place it in a glass bowl with 2 cups of very warm water and 2 denture tablets. Allow to soak about 20 minutes then scrub clean with a soft brush.
6) Coffee or tea basket: I used denture tablets to clean the tea basket of my iced tea maker. It was stained from use but no matter how I tried I could not get a brush into the tiny slots to clean it. I just poured 1 cup of warm water in and added 1 denture tablet then rinsed when clean. No scrubbing required.
7) Slow running or smelly drain? Dump a cup of hot water down the sink drain and follow with 2-3 broken up tablets. Let sit about 20 minutes then follow with warm water
8) Hairbrushes: Have a brush with residue on the bristles from hair products? First pull the hair out using a comb. Then put 2 cups of warm water in a bowl, add the hairbrush and drop in 2 denture tablets. Let it sit till the fizzing stops. Rinse brush well and let dry.
Whiten nails: Drop 1 tablet in a cup of warm water and soak nails for 5 minutes (also works if fingers are stained from berry picking!)
I used plain old Efferdent tablets. I didn't try the whitening or 'with Scope' because they were more expensive. I just got the plain ones, but I did get the big box and they will last a long time.
(this post contains affiliate links. If you chose to purchase something from these links, I will get a small amount from Amazon to thank me for sending you their way and help support this blog. It will not affect your purchase price)