First I placed the tomato cage over the plant and pressed down gently to mark where each leg would go. I removed the cage and replaced a leg with a plastic fence stake. I pounded the fence stake in with a mallet then removed it. I did the same thing for all 3 legs. I put the tomato cage back over the plant making sure each leg went into a hole and guided the legs to the bottom. Then I filled them in with dirt and watered them to make the dirt mold around the legs.
That was it! You have no idea how much easier this was! No bending at all. I did this for the old metal cages and the new plastic coated cages. It worked well for all of them.
As you can see we got a few of those colorful new cages that have been in all the stores this year. Youngest son talked me into them. He has been helping an awful lot lately though, so when he asked if he could have some "minion colored" cages, I gave in. They cost twice as much as the regular ones, but I had an issue with some rusting on the old ones so I figured it won't hurt to try. I'll be sure to keep you updated on their performance!